Monday, June 15, 2020

There is Too Much Butter on Those Trays


Manuel : No. No, no, senor. Not... not "on... those... trays"... No, sir.

Manuel : [counting the trays instructively]  "Uno, dos, tres".


I didn't have a chance to watch a whole lot of British comedy growing up. Our choices were pretty limited, when it came to T.V. shows from the UK, we had Benny Hill, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and MTV brought us The Young Ones.

Later when I moved to Germany, I became familiar with others such as Mr. Bean, Blackadder, and Keeping up Appearances. But I absolutely loved John Cleese and his humor. Growing up, I only knew him from Monty Python and A Fish Called Wanda. So I was completely unfamiliar with Fawlty Towers.

I actually only learned about it when I was trying to figure out what my wife wanted to watch in English. I had started importing movies from the UK to Germany on DVD, As not all German DVDs had English audio tracks at the time. She said Fawlty Towers, and like I said, no idea what that was so I looked for Faulty Towers and found no hits. 

Then my wife suggested looking for that actor, you know the one from Monty Python. Which one, there were like 6 of them? Eric Idle? Michael Palin? When she said John Cleese, I thought she was mistaken. Glad I was wrong. When we got the DVDs I started watching and didn't stop until I'd binged the whole series.


I was shocked and disappointed recently as I learned that the "Cowardly and gutless and contemptable" (As Cleese referred to them) BBC was removing the episode above "The Germans" from 1975 due to "offensive language". If they removed every movie or tv show that had content which somebody considered "offensive" then they might as well run those damn Teletubbies 24-7 for those oversensitive souls. And I would proclaim comedy as truly dead.

But it looks like they may have backtracked on this now:

Be sure to watch it, before they change their minds and it disappears forever with a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah like Disney's "Song of the South."

Secretary Ben Carson also said recently “We need to move away from being offended by everything" and that "It really gets to a point of being ridiculous after a while”.

I can only agree.

Let me know what you think in the comments below.

And please be sure to recommend!

Join President Trump on Parler!

  Good morning Patriots, President Trump has joined us on Parler @Thepotus45, below is his profile, if you're interested. Parler Free Sp...