(Sorry about the flash)
When I first got to Germany, my German friends tried to introduce me to a whole slew of German comedians. At first I thought maybe it’s just the language barrier, so as my German improved I watched them again. No that wasn’t it.
Maybe it was the cultural references, after all I didn’t get here until after the fall of the wall and in school they tended to revolve around Nazi German history when referring WWII. So I didn’t know much about Germany after the Marshall plan. So I made an attempt to learn about what the Germans watched on T.V. and what music they listened to primarily from the 60’s through the 80’s. No, I still did not find German comedy funny.
So I went back to watching American comedies, but unfortunately I could only watch them on German T.V. or in movie theaters dubbed in German. At this point, my German was good enough that I knew what was being said, but it was still really annoying because I knew how the actor’s real voice sounded, and if the Germans used a voice actor that sounded nothing like the original voice it was distracting. (Eddie Murphy was a prime example, as his “German” voice was very high pitched and shrill)
I watch an episode with my wife and could not understand what my mother could think was funny here. There was a couple situations that were funny, but for the most part it really wasn’t. So we watched another one, same thing. It wasn’t funny. It wasn’t until I saw an episode in English that I understood why.
The Germans didn’t understand the original jokes, they couldn’t get the cultural references, and they just ended up trying to rewrite the dialog so a German could understand a funny situation, and they failed miserably. I have since stopped watching anything from American television that has been dubbed in German. I only watch series in the English language on streaming services, but now it’s getting harder and harder to find something to laugh with or about. (Even in English)
Somebody, MCFA! (Make Comedy Funny Again!)
Have you ever had the feeling that something seemed to be 'Lost In Translation' in a movie or a show that you were watching?
Have you ever seen German funny comedy?
What was your favorite comedy series?
Do you still watch T.V.? and if not do you miss it?
Let me know what you think in the comments below :)
And please remember to recommend!