For most of you, if you want onion rings you can buy them at a local diner, in some fast food restaurants, or pre-made from the frozen food section. When I arrived in Germany, I found this was not the case here. I asked some friends for a home made recipe for them, but unfortunately most of my friends weren't into onion rings, or cooking as far as that was concerned. While on vacation, I bought some cook books to find recipes for things that I easily found in America but not so much here. I had to try them out and in the end I ended up throwing one or two together to get this recipe. I hope you like it.
As a side note, this works great with button mushrooms too.
Dork of the Rings, Onion, That Is...
Ingredients:
2-3 Large onions (Cut into 1/3 inch slices and split into rings)
3 cups butter milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2/3 cup water
1 tsp lemon or lime juice
1 tbsp. vegetable oil (You'll need more for frying)
1 egg (beaten)
1. In a shallow bowl soak the onions in the butter milk for 30 minutes
2. In a second bowl mix all other ingredients until smooth.
3. Heat oil at a medium-high heat. You can do this on the stove top in a shallow pan if you want to use less oil, in a deep fryer (though I've never tried this in one of those 'low oil' ones), but the best results come from using an electric skillet because it's easier to keep the temperature consistent.
4. Remove onions from butter milk and dip in the batter one at a time, placing them in the hot oil and fry until golden brown.
5. Dry oil from onion rings on a paper towel.
Enjoy them best warm!
Please be sure to let me know how they turn out for you.
And as always, please recommend!