Thursday, May 28, 2020

The West is the Best... Get Here and We'll Do the Rest


In September 1984 Marvel Comics published the first episode of the four part miniseries "West Coast Avengers".  The storyline was pretty basic, Hawkeye wanted to expand the influence of the Avengers by creating a separate team in sunny California. The team consisted of Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Wonder Man, Tigra, and Iron Man (James "Rhodey" Rhodes, not Tony Stark).

I was never really an Avengers fan; I mean, sure I knew most of the characters and some of their back stories. But to be honest with you, I only bought the comic because ROM was on the cover, so imagine my disappointment when I discovered he was not even in the darn thing.

The comic book did have some appeal though. It introduced me to some of the second string heroes such as Mockingbird, who later appeared in the T.V. series Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Portrayed by Adrianne Palicki), and it was in California! Being from the boondocks of northwestern Pennsylvania, California just sounded like paradise... Not so much anymore.

A year after the miniseries completed Marvel released a full series which ran until 1994. I never really got into it though, but maybe because I wasn't really an Avengers fan. More recently, in 2018 they tried to reboot the series, but this only ran for ten issues before it was cancelled. Maybe it wasn't just me.


So I'd  pretty much forgotten all about the Avengers until Marvel started producing their own movies on the big screen. Over the last 12 years and 23 movies later, I've got to admit, I've really become a fan of the Avengers at least the way they have been brought to the big screen. I mean who wants to see an alcoholic Tony Stark or a wife beater Hank Pym?? (Hey, I saw that! Put your hand down, you sicko!)

When Avengers: Endgame completed the Infinity stone/Thanos story plot, I really didn't know where they were going to go from there with Tony Stark dead, Captain America old, Thor Lebowski, and Hulk neutered. I kind of hoped that they would dust off the old "West Coast Avengers" idea. But it appears they have another direction in mind.

I've read some of the upcoming movies Marvel is making and I have to say I don't see anything I could really get into. It would appear they are following a direction which branches way too far from my taste. But if that's what they think sells, more power to them. I'll save my money.


Are you an Avengers fan? Comics or movies? 

How do you think the MCU handled your favorite character?

Have you ever even heard of the "West Coast Avengers"?

What do you think of the upcoming MCU movies?

Let me know in the comments below.

And remember as always to recommend!

Join President Trump on Parler!

  Good morning Patriots, President Trump has joined us on Parler @Thepotus45, below is his profile, if you're interested. Parler Free Sp...