Monday, May 11, 2020

A Door to a New Universe (Stargate)



In 1994, German director Roland Emmerich introduced us to his "Stargate". This was not the first time I had heard of the idea of stable artificial wormholes used for intergalactic travel, but it was the first time I'd seen it wrapped up in Earth's mythology and on the big screen. Being a big fan of Egyptian mythology, I was fascinated by the armor worn by Ra, Horus, and of course Anubis seen in the trailer. It looked so futuristic, but at the same time, I could imagine how the ancient Egyptians could have interpreted this technology to be godly.  




Unfortunately being in Germany, I had to wait for it to be released on video cassette in the U.S.
I could have watched it sooner in the German movie theater, but I would have missed a lot of it, as my German was not yet at a level that I could understand the dialog. But I had a multisystem VHS player and T.V. so I asked my parents to mail me a copy.

It was worth the wait...

The costumes were everything I'd hoped for (Though I felt bad for the horse they put in that alien costume) and the CGI used for the masks, the Horus fighters ships, and Ra's ship - simply awesome.
I was head over heels.

I found that I could really relate to Daniel Jackson, being an clever yet awkward fellow. (Yeah, he was a "Dork" too). And Colonel Jack O'Neil, was that mission focused hardcore soldier (pretty tough, for Air Force ;) ), who reminded me of some of the guys I served with back in the Gulf War.

I was pretty excited when I heard they were making a series out of it. It took a little getting used to the different actors playing the parts, and the characters seemed different than in the film. (Jack O'Neil played by MacGyver?). It was a little disappointing. But eventually the series grew on me and I accepted the new characters. The spin-offs were different, where Stargate Atlantis was rather light, Stargate Universe just seem to get darker and darker with each episode. I was kind of glad when it got cancelled.

I heard at one point that Roland Emmerich had planned a new Stargate movie, I'm not sure if it was to be a sequel or a reboot, but after the box office failure of the second Independence Day movie, I heard he dropped it.





I honestly wouldn't know what they could do with Stargate from here. I wouldn't want the movie to be remade, because I don't see any reason for it. As for new series, I would only hope that they have a better budget, some of the sets looked flimsy ;)

This is just one dork's opinion, though. 

Are you a fan of the movie or the series?
Do you think there should be some kind of revival?
Or did you think the whole thing was a waste of time?

Let me know what you think in the comments below

And be sure to recommend :)

Join President Trump on Parler!

  Good morning Patriots, President Trump has joined us on Parler @Thepotus45, below is his profile, if you're interested. Parler Free Sp...